Monday 9 December 2013

Burgundy's, Chennai

                        My love for food goes a long way. All the way back to the time when i was a toddler. My mum used to brag to her friends and relatives that i used to eat a whole bowl of baby food and then drink a whole glass of milk(which by the way I've stopped drinking. Completely!) without making a fuss. So it din't come much of a surprise to her when she watched me grow from a cute little chubby kid to a huge mass of muscle who hasn't spared any restaurant in the city from his gluttony! But then, I found it hard to believe, even for my pretty good standards, that i hadn't frequented Burgundy's at MRC Nagar. What got my attention at first was, unlike the eat outs and restaurants at Elliot's beach that are too crowded and cramped for anybody's good, Burgundy's not only had a lot of space but also had a good inflow of sea breeze!

                                                So, my friend who was working for CFG, invited me for the showcase event at Burgundy's. I was already late and the others who were invited for the showcase had begun the dinner with the starters. So without wasting time i went Geronimo!! There was a very good spread of salads, both veg and non-veg. Everything was fresh and yummy. I helped myself to three servings of the vegetarian salads. Among the vegetarian starters, my favorite were the panner tarlets. The base was crispy and the paneer was well cooked and tasty.

                                                Moving on to the mail course, the buffet was spread across four different cuisines. The Asian counter had Cilantro fried rice, Curry veg noodles, Salt & Pepper okra, Lotus stem, Thai red curry, Chilli paneer, oriental fusion koftas. All the dishes were cooked and maintained at the right temperature and were full of flavor.

                                                Moving further west to our very own Indian cuisine i found both North and South Indian dishes in the spread. Though i wasn't in the mood to eat the food that mom makes best, i did try a few of them. The Chettinadu melagu potato and the Podi kathirikai from the South Indian cuisine were cooked to perfection. And from the North Indian side, which by the way had much more options than its South Indian counterpart, the Kadai vegetable, Palak paneer and the Navarathna korma were really yummy.

                                               Finally in the main course was my personal favourite - Western Vegetarian. I stuffed myself with the super tasty Mushroom nuggets. They were just too damn delicious! And then there was this pasta with oven roasted tomato that was very fresh and light. Being a pasta lover i helped myself to two big servings of the pasta. My only disappointment was that i was not able to eat the Gnocchi as it had a pesto base. And i hate pesto! Apart form that there were roasted potato wedges, vegetable croquettes and the very creamy vegetable au gratin.

                                              And finally, to the best and my most favorite part of the dinner - The Desserts! They had quite a decent spread of assorted cakes, gelato and Indian sweets(All of which i had) apart from the brilliant lemon curd pie and profiteroles. But my favorite among the deserts was the caramel custard. It was served with the extra bit of caramel sauce and that's just the way i like it!

                                              I was too full to even stand up straight but then that's the indication of a dinner gone right. It wasn't just right. It was, as Jim Carrey would say, B-E-A-UTIFUL!!

Check out the restaurant at www.burgundyrestaurants.in

1 comment: