Monday 4 November 2013

Kryptos by Willi, Chennai

       One of the very few things that I've done without having to be told or instructed or ordered to do is eat. So it was a no brainer when my friend who works for the Chennai food guide invited me to be a part of the showcase event organised by them. And the best part was, it was to one of my favourite restaurants in the city and the only one to serve Greek food. 

          So after a not so hectic day at work, i went to Kryptos to stuff myself with chicken pie, lamb moussaka & chicken in lemon sauce(My personal favourite). But, it was only when i got to the restaurant that it struck me that i was on a vegetarian diet for 6 months and so had to shut and sit and eat veggies. And eat veggies i did!

         Apart from the regular salad bar that served a variety of veggies, we were served the best dishes from a select menu. Not wanting to give the non-vegetarians a stomach ache, i decided not to bother myself getting to know what was on the non-veg menu(Moussakaaaa... My love!!!) I started with a nice big bowl of Soup of  Asparagus which had a really nice texture and the flavors were just perfect. 

        Having helped myself to a second serving of the soup while getting to know the people sitting around me, i jumped to the starters which was served in a platter. It had Kremidopita(tomato tarlets), Falafel (chickpea fritters), Kalitsounia (pumpkin pastry, which was my favourite) and Bourekia(mushroom filled phyllo parcels). Not to mention the parade of the pita bread with hummus that just didn't stop! Apart from the weird names, all the starters had great flavor and were served at the right temperature.

        By the time the main course i had made two new acquaintances. And in front of us, our plates were filled with colourful food that had great aroma. I started with the utterly butterly yummy spinach and feta pie that filled me up, followed it up with the Greek version of tandoori paneer and finished the main course with the basmathi rice and nuts filled colour peppers. The huge bowl of potato wedges that was served as a part of the main course played the same role as the pita bread and hummus did during the starters. 

        I was nearly full even for my pretty high capacity. But I'm a desert lover I opened the secret locker in my stomach. And into the locker went the beautiful baklava and prepossessing panna cotta. The yoghurt panna cotta that was served with honey glazed apricot pieces turned out to be the best way to end the dinner.


        We were the last ones to leave the restaurant and it was nearing midnight. But we left with both our tummies and our hearts full. And that is the mark of an award winning restaurant!

Check out the restaurant at www.tuscanakryptos.in

       

6 comments:

  1. Good start buddy! I'd suggest a change in design and colour tone of the page..it's too dark n bland for a food blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate! :) I'm yet to work on the aesthetics of the blog. You'll see in a few days time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. The Kryptos by Willi team is truly honoured to have pleased your tummy and in turn your heart. :) We hope to see you at the restaurant again soon. - Ishika Sachdev, Director

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for taking time of to write a review on Kryptos by Willi. I truly appreciate it. Looking forward to your friends, family & you visiting Kryptos by Willi & our other restaurants which are Burgundy's, Tuscana on Chamiers & Tuscana Pizzeria often. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a regular at all your restaurants except Burgundy's as it is too far from my place. Nevertheless, thank you for your hospitality. Not to mention your super exciting adventure stories that made the dining experience all the more enjoyable :)

      Delete